HASH?

UGCC is an affordable web based control panel for controlling game servers. Works on Windows/Linux/BSDs.
MajorPainage

HASH?

Post by MajorPainage »

Was wondering if the Hash can be ignored or if it's wise to?

Reason I ask is that I have several Procons running, and it has the ability to update itself, but it won't restart because of the hash.
I have to update the hash, and then start the Procons.
Masher
Site Admin

Re: HASH?

Post by Masher »

I generally recommend that if a user has the capability to replace the executable the panel launches you should use the hash feature. Make sense?
Masher
-----------
Please do not PM me unless asked to! We are a small company. If you have an issue or question it would be best to post it in the forums where it can help others in the future.

NEW Join our Discord!
MajorPainage

Post by MajorPainage »

Not really.

Not sure what is easier.
To allow the users to update their own hash,

or

I do it and have to restart it myself.
Masher
Site Admin

Post by Masher »

If a user (ie. one of your non-admins), can overwrite the prorcon application the panel runs when they click start; you should use a hash. If a user doesn't have ftp or file tool access to the program the panel executes when you click start, you don't need to worry about the hash.

If a user has say ftp access to where the executable is, the exe could be overwritten with another executable. Think virus, malware, anything. If you have a hast set, the panel will see the program has changed and will not start it. If you don't have a hash set the panel will start the program.

You should never allow users to update the hash (unless they are admins).
Masher
-----------
Please do not PM me unless asked to! We are a small company. If you have an issue or question it would be best to post it in the forums where it can help others in the future.

NEW Join our Discord!
MajorPainage

Post by MajorPainage »

ok

Justed hoped I could automate it so that when Procon auto updates itself, that it would restart on it's own as it is supposed to.

Guess I will just have to look after that myself.

Thankfully they only update every couple of months.