SteamCMD Error

Having problems with the panel? Have questions? Post here!
Hazz

SteamCMD Error

Post by Hazz »

I've been encountering errors with SteamCMD and UGCC for a while now but need to get it working correctly as TF2 is being updated to use SteamCMD soon so most of our servers will need to use the new updater.

I'm testing using a CSGO server at the moment, when running the updater from the panel I get:

Code: Select all

Update completed 03/08/2013 00:07:31
Redirecting stderr to '/root/Steam/logs/stderr.txt'
[  0%] Checking for available updates...
[  0%] Download complete.
[----] Verifying installation...
[----] !!! Fatal Error: Steam failed to load: *SteamStartEngine(0xffd2be60) failed with error 1: Failed to create directory /root/Steam
The update path is: /home/userhere/steamcmd/steamcmd.sh

Commandline arguments: +login anonymous +force_install_dir /home/userhere/servers/csgo1 +app_update 740 +quit

The above works fine from ssh, seems to be some issue when using it from UGCC. Not quite sure why its trying to use /root/Steam, when updating via ssh it uses /home/userhere/Steam

I've tried chmod 777 on /root/Steam just to test, still no luck. Also tried removing the directory entirely. I am still running UGCC 1.563, from the latest release notes I don't think updating would help.

Any ideas?
Masher
Site Admin

Re: SteamCMD Error

Post by Masher »

Shoot me a PM with details on how to ssh to your server and panel details and I'll take a look.
Masher
-----------
Please do not PM me unless asked to! We are a small company. If you have an issue or question it would be best to post it in the forums where it can help others in the future.

NEW Join our Discord!
Masher
Site Admin

Post by Masher »

Not reallly sure what's going with steamcmd. I've had other reports that didrole's tool worked better with the panel and linux though. Give it a try

http://didrole.com/UpdateTool/
Masher
-----------
Please do not PM me unless asked to! We are a small company. If you have an issue or question it would be best to post it in the forums where it can help others in the future.

NEW Join our Discord!
Hazz

Post by Hazz »

Ok, thanks. I don't mind using that tool for now but I think SteamCMD should be looked into with UGCC.
Masher
Site Admin

Post by Masher »

I've haven't had any issues with it in my testing, and my setup isn't much diferent than yours. I'll fire up my linux box and check again.
Masher
-----------

NEW Join our Discord!
Hazz

Post by Hazz »

Hi Masher.

Did you have any luck with further testing?

It seems SteamCMD works a lot better not running as root. Would it be possible for the panel to run SteamCMD as a different user?
Masher
Site Admin

Post by Masher »

I haven't been able to reproduce the issue, even with the panel running as root.

You can change the monitor to run as your normal user account if you wish to see if that doesn't help. You may have to fix up file permissions. The monitor's log file should list which user it is running as.
Masher
-----------

NEW Join our Discord!
Hazz

Post by Hazz »

Ok, thanks for the info. I'll do some testing.

CSS and TF2 are moving over to SteamCMD in the next couple of weeks so better be ready.
Masher
Site Admin

Post by Masher »

Hazz,

I've been doing some testing this morning. I downloaded a fresh copy of steamcmd from valve's developer wiki. Looks like it was updated in February-ish. You may want to try redownloading the package. It looks like they finally fixed the problem with the steamcmd.sh script as well, so try changing your update settings to use the steamcmd.sh and let me know how it turns out.
Masher
-----------

NEW Join our Discord!
Hazz

Post by Hazz »

Hi Masher,

Removed any trace of SteamCMD and started over. Working as expected now. :)

Thanks!
Masher
Site Admin

Post by Masher »

No problem. Good to hear.
Masher
-----------

NEW Join our Discord!