Servers not being controlled from panel

Having problems with the panel? Have questions? Post here!
AccelerateServers

Servers not being controlled from panel

Post by AccelerateServers »

We have had a few of our users mention that they are unable to update their servers and upon investigation, when stopping their server using the panel, the servers are still running. I used HLSW/game client to connect to the server to verify it is still running, despite panel saying it is stopped. This is a problem with updating, since the panel triggers the update but the server is still running. I can work around the issue by stopping the server with the panel then using "rcon quit" from RCON. When I start the server using the panel, it seems to start without issue. This is happened one too many times now so I am reporting the issue with a hopeful fix.

Ubuntu 12.04
Masher
Site Admin

Re: Servers not being controlled from panel

Post by Masher »

Please check your log files (both the web log tool and the actual file logs) for any errors. Post any errors if you could.
Masher
-----------
Please do not PM me unless asked to! We are a small company. If you have an issue or question it would be best to post it in the forums where it can help others in the future.

NEW Join our Discord!
AccelerateServers

I don't have much, this is what is logged when the automatic update occurred last night:

Code: Select all

8/19/2015 8:02:58 PM    Starting automatic update of ID: 37, appid=440.  We have ver 2926419 and required version is 2927789
8/19/2015 8:02:58 PM    Shutting down server ID: 37 for automatic update.
8/19/2015 8:02:58 PM    Shutting down server ID 37
8/19/2015 8:05:05 PM    Error sending update started report
Message could not be sent.
8/19/2015 8:05:17 PM    Update finished for server id: 37 on 8/19/2015 8:05:17 PM
8/19/2015 8:05:34 PM    Attempting to start id:  37...SUCCESS
and then at the end of the log where I started it:

Code: Select all

8/20/2015 5:19:10 PM    Shutting down server ID 37
8/20/2015 5:19:11 PM    Remote Stop Request Received for id: 37 SUCCESS
8/20/2015 5:19:14 PM    Remote Update Received for id: 37
8/20/2015 5:20:46 PM    Remote Update Complete for id: 37
8/20/2015 5:21:03 PM    Attempting to start id:  37...SUCCESS
8/20/2015 7:02:00 PM    Shutting down server ID 37
8/20/2015 7:02:00 PM    Remote Stop Request Received for id: 37 SUCCESS
8/20/2015 7:02:47 PM    Remote Start Request Received for id: 37 SUCCESS
Masher
Site Admin

Post by Masher »

The error sending update report is just stating it was unable to send the update emails. You may just not have email setup.

Are you using the -autoudpate command line option on any of the servers? You'll want to remove those. Maybe also add -norestart to prevent the srcds shell script from trying to restart them.
Masher
-----------
Please do not PM me unless asked to! We are a small company. If you have an issue or question it would be best to post it in the forums where it can help others in the future.

NEW Join our Discord!
AccelerateServers

I will try the -norestart option and report back.
AccelerateServers

Is there any reason to NOT have -norestart in the launch options? Does it affect the way a server is restarted after crash? Or does the panel handle that?
Masher
Site Admin

Post by Masher »

You'll probably want to continue to use -norestart (is this a newish feature)? The panel will restart crashed servers if you have monitoring enabled for the server. Probably explains your issue. You want the panel to manage starts/stops. If something is started outside of the panel the panel has no way of knowing it.

You can also add -strictportbind which will cause a server to fail to start if it can't bind to the specified ports. Which should prevent having extra copies of the servers running if a server is already using those ports.
Masher
-----------

NEW Join our Discord!
AccelerateServers

It appears that -norestart causes the server to not boot.
Masher
Site Admin

Post by Masher »

Yes, sorry for that; it doesn't work.

I'm tested various things and can't reproduce the original issue. Can you make a backup (use the import/backup admin tool) of one of your servers and email it to me?
Masher
-----------

NEW Join our Discord!
AccelerateServers

I'm going to attempt to edit the srcds_run script to not restart the server on crash, ill report back if im able to fix it and ill upload the file i edited for future use.
AccelerateServers

BTW, -norestart is actually a valid command as specified inside of srcds_run... which is odd.