Update question

Having problems with the panel? Have questions? Post here!
the1trujok3r

Update question

Post by the1trujok3r »

I have a question about updates.

If I have 1 steam install of a game where I run multiple server instances off an EXE but I'm saving config files in say 10 different folders but the core game files are all shared in one install instance how would I go about getting all servers to reboot if there was an update? Right now all are selected to update but only 1 is catching the update first then rebooting and it has the updated install but the other 9 don't know to reboot because 1 of the other installs did the update and rebooted.

So 10 installs all set to do update checks.
1 of the installs finds the update files and updates the main folder of game files.
The other servers do their check but since one install has already updated none of the others know to update and continue to run on older version.

I know it's a more complex problem but the game is Atlas and I'm running 3x3 grid of 9 servers. In Atlas you don't have to have 9 installs of the game. You only set 9 different save folder locations but all instances run off a single exe.

So when 1 of the instances gets the update and reboots then none of the other see the steam file as in need of being updated because that 1 instance has already updated all the files but all others are running older copy of exe in memory. Have to restart the exe for them to be running latest update. Is there a way to when 1 updates the others are forced to reboot as dependencies or something like that?
Friendly and Fun Gaming Community - Come Join Us! - http://BoxieGames.com
Joker - BoxieGames Owner / Founder
the1trujok3r

Re: Update question

Post by the1trujok3r »

Looks like I might can fix this with dependencies going to start playing with it so if I only do updates on one server the main and then make all others dependent so that when it reboots it will reboot the dependencies it might work.
the1trujok3r

Post by the1trujok3r »

@masher OK that doesn't seem to work.

I've set 8 servers as dependencies to the one and I've selected this option on the main:

If other servers are dependent on this server, checking this setting will cause the panel to start and stop the servers that are dependent on this one when this server is started or stopped.

However it does not stop / start the servers that are dependent on it.

Can I get some help on maybe how to do that? If I have one server update and when it stops and starts having the others start and stop as per the option would work but it's not stopping / starting when the core server starts or stops.
the1trujok3r

Post by the1trujok3r »

@masher

It's odd I can get the servers to start but they hang up when attempting to start them. I'm not sure if this is due to the way you start Atlas from a single EXE. Still not able to stop the servers when the master server stops it doesn't stop any of the slave servers.
Masher
Site Admin

Post by Masher »

Sorry, have been traveling and forgot to reply to your post.

Dependencies would be the way to go. Are you seeing any error messages in the panel's logs?
Masher
-----------
Please do not PM me unless asked to! We are a small company. If you have an issue or question it would be best to post it in the forums where it can help others in the future.

NEW Join our Discord!
Masher
Site Admin

Post by Masher »

Do the dependent servers require the first server to be running before they're started?
Masher
-----------
Please do not PM me unless asked to! We are a small company. If you have an issue or question it would be best to post it in the forums where it can help others in the future.

NEW Join our Discord!
the1trujok3r

Post by the1trujok3r »

@masher

The server updates and when it stops none of the other servers stop. If I manually stop the master server none of the other servers stop.

If I do a start on the master server the slave servers will start but they hang and not sure if that's due to starting off a single EXE or not but if I only test 1 or 2 it seems to start but none ever do the stop function.

There is nothing in the logs showing any errors.

I do get this if I attempt to start a slave server:

Not starting server, it depends on server id 4 which is not running.
Masher
Site Admin

Post by Masher »

Ok, I believe I have a fix for this. Will try to get an update out soon.
Masher
-----------

NEW Join our Discord!
the1trujok3r

Post by the1trujok3r »

I looked at things on a smaller scale and did a grouping of 7 servers.

I set dependency startup to 60 seconds and it did start and stop servers but it's throwing this error

"Connection timed out waiting for a response from the remote monitor."

They seem to still be starting in the background but it does timeout but it looks like smaller groups of servers are working with dependencies. We have 49 servers and about half rely on 1 server so it's about 25 to 1 on dependencies.

The setup we are doing is an Atlas 7x7 Grid with two freeports. What I'm trying to accomplish is that when the freeport servers get updates from steam they would reboot / restart and this would restart the dependent servers. As they are all spawned off the same EXE they won't need to run the update check because the master server has already performed the required updates.

Having a separate error with steam I posted in a different thread regarding updates. Going to group all servers now in groups of 7 for dependencies and see how that works and reboot the entire server to see if that will clear the steam error.
Masher
Site Admin

Post by Masher »

I've got a beta build for your to try.

I think it'll fix all the various issues you've brought up so far:
--Dependencies not stopping
--Timeout when starting (bumped up the timeout value)
--The dependency start time will only wait for the first the dependency server, than the rest will start immediately

Manual--> http://redirect.brainless.us/UGCC/2.14/Deploy.7z
EzUGCC--> http://redirect.brainless.us/UGCC/2.14/EzUGCC2.exe
Masher
-----------

NEW Join our Discord!
the1trujok3r

Post by the1trujok3r »

I'm actually finding that the dependency start time works but it times out. I actually would prefer it work where it starts each dependency at the time it says because if it were to start 48 servers at once it would lock up and freeze so really need a solution to stagger startups when dependencies are started.

Right now I've got groups of 7 servers working. I get the timeout message but the panel still honors the startup and it continues.
Masher
Site Admin

Post by Masher »

Sure, but 60 seconds for each of the 48 servers would take 48 minutes to bring the whole thing up. Do you know roughly have long it takes for each atlas zone to startup to reach idle? I can change the second timeout to this instead of 0.
Masher
-----------

NEW Join our Discord!