Server Config

Want a new feature, we want to know about it. Any and all suggestions are welcomed.
Voxen

Server Config

Post by Voxen »

Many Games can't be configured via launch parameters alone, the user often has to go into his game folder and edit a server.cfg there.
I think i would make a nice addition to add a option that opens a pre-configured server.cfg just like the new Console option.
Masher
Site Admin

Re: Server Config

Post by Masher »

I'll add this in the next update.
Masher
-----------
Please do not PM me unless asked to! We are a small company. If you have an issue or question it would be best to post it in the forums where it can help others in the future.

NEW Join our Discord!
Reason

Post by Reason »

Voxen wrote:Many Games can't be configured via launch parameters alone, the user often has to go into his game folder and edit a server.cfg there.
I think i would make a nice addition to add a option that opens a pre-configured server.cfg just like the new Console option.
Not only would shipping EzUGCC and UGCC installs with default configs for all the games be great, especially for new users but I have an additional and (I think) related request.

I would like to see additional descriptions beneath fields based on the "Server Type" selected under the "General" Tab. Beneath fields like "Command line arguements+" in the "Executable" tab ... for example, there would be an expandable & collapsible field/box/window (similar to the notes field) which would show all available command line arguments for the game server you selected. I think it'd be best to be collapsed/minimized by default.

Another example would be under the "Query" tab where if I selected the Server Type of Killing Floor 2, it would show the default path and file name of the config file I'd have to edit to change the port, what the default ports are for that game, and what firewall protocol they use (such TCP, UDP, both and Inbound, outbound, or both).
Example:
"you've selected Killing Floor 2 as the server type, the default server port is ____, the default query port is ____, and they are both located in the default file and location of ____________________ . The default RCON port is ____ but is located in this other config file and can be accessed via a separate web panel if allowed in the config."

As for all this information as well as copies of default configs, it would great if they could all be accessed under a new "Settings" section in the panel which could be called "Server Type defaults" which you could in one screen easily jump around to different defaults via a drop down of server types. Also(!), have a link to a (possibly pinned?) forum thread for submitting updates/corrections so people don't make a ton of new threads for small tweaks/changes requested to configs, firewall ports, command line parameters, etc.

TL:DR
• Include default (possibly commented) config files for each "Server Type".
• List of all command line parameters under the "Executable" Tab based on Server Type selected in the General tab .
• Default config file locations and file names under the General tab and/or Query tab based on Server Type selected in the General tab.
• Default ports, protocols, and direction (in/out) under the Query Tab and their respective config file locations and names (not always the same cfg's as server setting cfg's) based on Server Type selected in the General tab.
• A new "Settings" section for all this information which could be viewed in one page based on what you select in a "Server Type" drop-down selection. The command line parameters field/box/window, default config paths/filenames fields, and protocols default ports/protocols list, would all appear beneath the Server Type drop-down selection.
• As of "Last updated" date/time stamps on everything so users know how current all information is/was.
• Link to a special forum thread created by Masher for users to post updates/corrections to information. Link should probably be in multiple other places in the edit server pages too so users are sure to see it.
• Lastly [least important and unnecessary but desired] would be a list of all map names / gametypes to be displayed/listed and a second editable text box/window titled "Additional Custom list" (just a example) for users to add custom names in case they have workshop files. The two list boxes (or one editable pre-filled with defaults and space to add customs) could be shown on the server selection screen where you can access Notes, Server Images, Logs, etc.

This would raise the convenience factor of UGCC immensely and would surely increase user affinity and evangelism for your software!

EDIT: I'm going to be installing and reinstalling about a hundred different types of game servers (pretty much every game that offers dedicated servers over the next week or two). If the list above is something you're open to considering then I'd be happy to contribute any and all knowledge I already have or will gain. There's a lot of information for every game and it becomes awfully tedious collecting it all as I know you're certainly aware. Games like Insurgency have multiple default configs to choose from for example and I would just like to help make sure you'd have to make as few updates/changes to the info over time and to cut down on forum posts/requests on this broad topic.
Masher
Site Admin

Post by Masher »

While it would be convenient, it's too much work. Users who don't know how to hunt this down or know it already should be using a different product or not run game server at all! 8)
Masher
-----------
Please do not PM me unless asked to! We are a small company. If you have an issue or question it would be best to post it in the forums where it can help others in the future.

NEW Join our Discord!