Feature request/Bug report

Redirect Server Checker for the Source Engine (CS:S, TF2, DOD:S, HL2MP, etc)--formerly CSRSC
pvtgrif

Feature request/Bug report

Post by pvtgrif »

Hey Masher,

With SRCDS and Garry's Mod I know that it is supposed to search recursively (due to the virtual filesystem it uses) in /addons and /gamemodes for files and put them in the correct folder. One thing that I have noticed since setting up my FastDL solution is that certain files in those folders cause the folder structure to be uploaded to a point from the base /addons and /gamemodes folder, as well as folders from inside /addons being uploaded.

The common issue for some of this is a "readme.md" file that github/git uses as a readme file for the git repository. Another file causing this is files in /addons with extension .gma (the Garry's Mod workshop content file.) In gamemodes (for custom gamemodes) the <gamemodeName>.fgd, icon24.png, and logo.png are being uploaded as well. None of these files are actually downloaded by the client (as the client uses clientside workshop to get those files and not the server's fastdl setup.)

Another file I noticed being uploaded (though, I don't even know what it is truthfully) is map.pack in the base /garrysmod folder. I believe that it is something new that is generated to list the maps on the server, but I don't really know. It is not downloaded to the client at all.

That being the bug report (files being uploaded that shouldn't), I move onto my feature request (that sort of ties into the above.)

It'd be nice to have a way to specify a ignorelist file as, even with mentioning the above, there are sure to be people who have random files that get uploaded and it would be a pain to add them all to the basefile/rsc/whatever is used. Formatting could be simple, have a .txt document that is return delimited so that each line is a entry in the ignore list. And in the ignoreList.txt you could specify a file name (readme.md), a file path from the GamePath (/addons/pointshop-master/readme.md), or a wildcard with an extension (*.gma)

And to make it so that it can be specified per .ini setup (where I want to ignore one file on one setup but not another), you could add something like

Code: Select all

[UseIgnoreList]
true

[IgnoreList]
c:\path\to\folder\ignorelist.txt
to the .ini setup.

During bootup, after it downloads the basefile, sourcersc could query the ignorelist if [UseIgnoreList] is set to true, then add those files to memory alognside the basefile so that it will not upload them.

If that's possible and not too complicated (I don't think it would be, but I don't really know how your code is or how it operates) it would be nice to see.

Thanks,
PvtGrif
Masher
Site Admin

Re: Feature request/Bug report

Post by Masher »

There is an exclusion system already in place. Just add the extensions of the files the clients don't download.

From the read me:
.exc (Exclude) Files
====================
SourceRSC comes with one exclude file, default.exc, and will copy the contents of the file to sourcersc.exc if sourcersc.exc doesn't exist. This is done to prevent your changes from being overwritten when upgrading versions.

The entries in this file instruct SourceRSC to never consider the files with a matching extension as custom and to always ignore them. Only extension names work with this feature.
Masher
-----------
Please do not PM me unless asked to! We are a small company. If you have an issue or question it would be best to post it in the forums where it can help others in the future.

NEW Join our Discord!